Wednesday, December 21, 2011

WHy was Machusetts the first colony to put compulsory education laws in place, both in 1642 and 1647 and?

than again in 1852 with Horace Mann's advocacy- Why were the puritans who come to flee religious persecution so ready and willing to put government in schooling, how is that different than government in your personal religious life? How did it go from religion would be your salvation to education will be your salvation? I realize there are a lot of theories: complusory education had been created to put children of different races, cles together and though to promote better citizens, end poverty,literacy, democracy- yet if this is TRUE, why are schools such a mess ? SO for those who say I am rambline and not actually asking a question, in summary these are my question; why was Machusetts the first to be big on government run schools ( government , king, ruler school bureaucracy should choose my books, tell me I have to be there at 7:30 sharp , tell me what's good for me) yet not tell me what god or religion I should worship. How does that make sense? And what good is compulsory schooling if it evolved into the big mess public schools are today? I do not think Jefferson's idea of common schools was meant to be what it ended up being!

0 comments:

Post a Comment